For all Pokemon card enthusiasts know how to be a better game player but, they also need to understand the uniqueness of the different cards with different dimensions. Here we will guide you according to different Pokémon card dimensions, and how you can identify and protect them.
What are Pokemon card dimensions?
To understand what defines Pokémon card dimensions you need to understand the meaning of dimension itself. Dimension is the overall length, width, and height of an object. For Pokemon cards, it how big is a Pokémon card is according to its height, width, and length.
Standard Pokémon card dimensions?
Standard is another term for consistency or something or, replicated with the same values and terms. In the context of standard Pokémon card dimensions, it means the overall height, width, and length determined in the Pokemon cards.
It is recorded, that the overall standard dimensions of a Pokémon card are about 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) in length and 3.5 inches (8.89cm) in height.
Collector interest in card dimension?
Pokemon enthusiasts can without doubt tell the type of card and what size is a Pokemon card. The dimensions of oversized or jumbo Pokémon cards are larger than standard Pokémon cards and are detectable in a pack.
- Creativity: A standard Pokémon card may show the illustrator’s creativity, but when you look at jumbo cards, their creativity is more vast and detailed with more dimensions to the overall card. (a few millimeters greater in width too)
- Appearance: The overall appearance of different cards, such as mini, jumbo, and even the standard size in rare cards, is unique. Many rare or promotional cards have a 3-D appearance, which increases the width of the cards’ dimensions.
- Promotional cards: Many promotional cards have unique work and 3-D designs to attract the interest of Pokémon card collectors. They have extraordinary art and 3-D designs to attract the interest of Pokémon card collectors.
- Difference: Pokemon cards have a unique card texture. If you are aware of the sensation, you can easily spot a Fake Pokemon card.
Oversized vs standard card sized.
We have read before how oversized cards exist, mainly called Jumbo cards.
So what size is a Pokémon card that is considered a jumbo card compared to a standard Pokemon card size? Here is a small guide:
- Initiation: Since the initiation of Pokémon cards in 1996, they were kept in a standard size to prevent cheating.
- The first jumbo-size Pokémon card was released in 2000.
- Size A standard Pokémon card has a go-to-go dimensions size of about 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) in length and 3.5 inches (8.89cm) in height.
- A jumbo Pokémon card compared to a standard Pokémon card is about 6 inches in length and 8 inches in height.
The difference in size makes it easier to spot if a player is cheating or not.
- Availability: A standard Pokémon size card is easily available in the market in the form of decks and Pokémon packs,
- Jumbo Pokémon cards are not easily found in the market as they are found in different promotion sets, mostly limited editions.
Although both the cards can be bought online a different rates (eg. Jumbo Pokemon card on Amazon) it is necessary to make sure that the site is authentic.
- Gameplay: A standard Pokémon card can be used in every gameplay.
- A Jumbo Pokémon card cannot be used in every game. They are mostly considered as a form of ‘precious ornament’ (metaphor), rather than a piece of equipment to use in the actual game.
- Safety: Standard Pokémon card is used in almost every game. It is usually kept in between the decks or sleeve binders to hold cards.
- A jumbo Pokémon card that cannot be used in actual gameplay therefore it is placed in unique displayable boxes or even frames
Impact of Deck Building
To have proper gameplay is very necessary to win the overall game. Many people know ‘how to play’ the game but lack the strategies that benefit them to win. Here are some impacts of deck buildings:
- Total: The total number of cards used in a game is 60, therefore, it is necessary to equalize your energy with different types of cards and a proper strategy.
- Build the perfect deck: Most new players tend to fill their decks with energy-powered Pokémon. Constantly using energy-powered Pokémon can easily make you lose a game. Therefore the best strategy to go for is to build a deck with 2-3 types of attackers rather than one. These are your, main attackers, and then your sub-attackers. It is highly recommended to go for a team that consists of about 33 to 35 trainers 15 to 20 Pokémon and the rest about 12 to 50 energy Pokémon.
- The trainers and Pokemon: Beginners make the mistake of confining their strategy with only filling energy Pokémon with much less, trainers and other Pokémon. This is the biggest mistake as the trainers and other Pokémon are our best to get struck by bigger attacks from the Opponent. This way, opponents’ energy will be used faster, giving you an upper hand in the game.
- Testing: After you have set a deck, it is important to constantly test out your strategies. Testing in different matches can help you understand which strategy or which deck is best to be used in which gameplay and different tournaments.
- Awareness: When you have different deck strategies, it is easy for you to adapt to changes in the game. This consistency makes it easier For you to fit in the changes in the meta.
Card size and rarity/value?
Although most of the Pokémon cards come in a standard size, there are also other dimensions of Pokemon cards present that have different rarity and values.
- Standard Pokemon card: The size is about 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) in length and 3.5 inches (8.89cm) in height. These are available in almost every single pack of Pokémon cards along with other uncommon and rare cards.
- Jumbo Pokemon cards: A jumbo Pokémon card compared to a standard Pokémon card is about 6 inches in length and 8 inches in height. Although they don’t have that much value in the game, they are mostly considered as ‘a showpiece’.
But that does not lower their value as jumbo cards are rather rare with unique artwork. They are only found in promotional card decks or cards that are limited edition therefore they can easily be valued up to 20$.
- Mini Pokemon card: Yes, other than standard-size Pokémon cards or jumbo Pokémon cards, miniature Pokemon cards exist too. This Pokémon card size is about 2 inches (5 cm) in height and, 1.5 inches (3.8 can) in length.
These mini Pokémon cards are mostly limited edition and are found in different collectible Pokémon bins or boxes, different promotional events, and even toys in the form of kids’ meals in different food chains such as McDonald’s.
Further on, you can also find this value up to $30 in different online stores.
There are also symbols on Pokémon cards that are rare. These symbols are as follows:
- If a Pokémon card has a symbol of a circle, it is a common card and can easily be found in booster packs. They can range from about 5$-10$.
- If a Pokémon card has a symbol of a diamond, these are uncommon cards. These can also be found in booster packs. They can range up to 10$.
- If a Pokémon card has a star sign on it. These are rare cards. They can be found in booster packs and promotional events. but can also be won through different tournaments. These can easily range up to 40$ online. Many rare cards are gold foil plated.
- If a Pokémon card has a star sign present on it with ‘promo’ written on it These are limited edition promotional cards And are not available in normal Booster packs. These can range up to 20$ online.
Display methods for varied dimension Pokemon cards.
There are different methods by which you can display the dimensions of a Pokémon card. Here is a list:
- Frame the cards
- Put them in customized boxes
- Different card sleeves
- Shadow boxes
Customization effect on dimension
No matter how big is a Pokémon card, it can be easily customized. Customizations are mostly done to protect the Pokémon card from dust and water. Different customisation can thicken the overall dimension of the card but it reserves them for a longer time. Here are different ways you can customize the dimensions of your Pokémon card:
- Pack: These are custom-made cord holders with unique and different artworks. It alters the dimensions to hardly a cm.
- Sleeves: This is the type of plastic layer that covers and protects the card. It alters the dimensions to hardly 3-4 millimeters.
- Top loader: It’s a layer of rigid PVC construction. It alters the dimensions to hardly 5-6 millimeters.
Crucial for gameplay
There are a lot of crucial elements in the entire gameplay of Pokémon cards. Even consistently making small mistakes in these elements can make you lose the game. Here are the crucial elements of the gameplay:
Rules: Always go through the set of rules present on ‘how to use your card’ before using it in the gameplay.
Choosing cards: It is very necessary to choose your cards wisely as you’re wrong deck can easily give the upper hand to your opponent. Having too many energy cards and fewer trainers or common cards can also make you lose your game.
Retreating: Retreating your Pokémon to the bench is essential, but make sure you’re not using too much energy.
Open eye: Keep an eye open on your Pokémon, especially under the state of paralysis, burns, or being poisoned by the opponent. If not doing so, your Pokémon may easily lose.
Knowledge: It is important to know your Pokémons such as their strengths and weaknesses. With doing so you can easily bring up the best Pokémon to fight your opponent.
Choosing fitting sleeves/binders
If you don’t want to alter the dimensions of Pokémon cards you can always choose a fitting sleeve or binder to place them in and protect them from the outside dust.
Binders are simply available in the market. They are in the form of book type or ring type (ring binder allows removal of pages). These come in different shapes and sizes, and, no matter what size is a Pokémon card of, a binder can easily hold different sizes. They are produced with leather or vinyl. Can be used for more than one card.
Sleeves are also easily available in the market and mostly in standard size (standard Pokemon size). They are made up of plastic material and can be used for 1-3 cards at a time. As they are made of plastic, they are transparent and lightweight.
Now, you have all the knowledge on various Pokémon card dimensions. You can hunt them down in the market while preserving your precious cards with their unique dimensions.